I have been craving for cakes lately. It really doesn’t help when you sit down and watch DC Cupcakes back to back on the telly!
So I thought of making a cake this weekend and then have the whole week to enjoy my cake but it’s only Wednesday and I can’t wait! Cravings need to be satisfied!
Then I remembered a blog post on mug cakes that’s been going viral lately and I thought, that should satisfy my craving in the meantime. The only problem is, I don’t have milk and very very limited butter.
Most cakes with recipes that don’t require milk use white vinegar as a replacement. Great. I don’t have white vinegar. I have balsamic vinegar though. Not sure how that would make my chocolate cake taste like. No way am I going to try although, I did think of it. See what craving does to you? :)
The recipe that I followed only required 1/2 tsp of vinegar. Hopefully by omitting it, the cake will work and I won’t miss anything. So I tried and my cake turned out awesome! I am not sure what the white vinegar does to the cake but hey, I am not complaining! My chocolate cake tasted like cake! Maybe what it does is that it makes it more moist? Well, the blogger did say hers was very moist so I guess that’s it. Anyway, I really don’t care since I just wanted to eat cake pronto!
And this cake literally took two minutes to make! I could go to the kitchen and back to the living room and the kid wouldn’t even notice! Talk about the perfect quick and easy dessert.
What you can also do for an even quicker cake is to pre pack your ingredients into little bags so that when you are hungry for one, all you need to do it pop open the bag, put in the wet ingredients and microwave away! Makes absolutely perfect gifts too! Have fun!
Chocolate mug cake (no milk, no butter, no eggs)
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 teaspoons vegetable oil (or canola)
4 1/2 Tablespoons water
- Using a microwave proof mug, spray the inside of your mug with cooking spray or melt a little bit of butter to and coat the sides.
- Next, mix the dry ingredients together in the mug. Mix well.
- Next, pour in the wet ingredients and mix everything till it’s smooth.
- Place it in the microwave on high and cook for 1.5 minutes. The timing depends on your microwave. Mine was perfect at 1 minute and 15 seconds but my cake didn’t have vinegar in it. Watch your cake and once your toothpick comes out clean, your cake is done!
- Top your cake with anything you want!